The aim of this shoot is to test studio lighting techniques in order to discover the style of lighting I want to photograph my project with. I will be examining the lighting style of portrait photographer Joel Grimes.
Within this shoot I will be experimenting with a 3 light approach. I will be photographing with the model lit from both sides and above with 3 different modifiers. 2 side lights (soft boxes) 2 front modifiers – Octobox and Beauty dish. I will also be adding in and taking out reflectors in order to evaluate the effect of multi-use lighting.
I am hoping that this experiment will also give me a greater understanding of softer lighting in comparison to harsher lighting upon the model in order to determine which lighting affects I want to use throughout my project.
Cannon 650D DSLR
50mm or 24mm lens
2 Soft Boxes
- photograph model with 3 point lighting. Using Beauty dish close to camera with and without reflector
- photograph model using 3 point lighting. Using Beauty dish above camera with and without reflector
- Photograph model using 3 point lighting. Using Octobox close to camera with and without reflector
- Photograph model using 3 point lighting. Using Octobox above camera with and without reflector
- Evaluate different between all images to determine which effect I prefer over all
(inspired/researched by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHw0OyT8Nv0)
Unfortunately within this shoot I wasn’t able to photograph the techniques I wanted to test due to not having the same size soft boxes when testing these specific lighting techniques. At first when I was setting up I thought the larger soft box needed to have the lower light power however then i remembered that the larger the modifier softer the light, so I changed the power to match between the larger and smaller soft box. Overall i like the effect that the side lights have on the subject, the highlights on the face add depth. I will look in to photographing with this lighting again and re-evaluate the outcome.
Once again unfortunately I can’t tell 100% which images i used reflectors in therefore I need to make clearer notes on what image it is I’m taking and what they are off.